This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Adapting a Model T garage to a 1970s car

The house I grew up in was built in the 1920s. It has what I call a "Model T" garage. That means that it is fine for cars today, and cars from the 20s, but it was just too small for our family's 1973 Ford Torino, which is the car I learned to drive in.

The picture at left is the solution that my father came up with to accommodate the Torino. To fit the car into the garage, you had to put the nose into the "bump out", which he built. Actually, I'm surprised that no one ever pushed the front bumper through it. It was quite a job, getting that car with that long, long, hood to fit into that garage. But we did it.

In the 1970s my friends and I used to joke about cars that had hoods that "arrived fifteen minutes before you did". And it was true. It was a design thing, I guess. The longer the hood, the more prestige you got, or something. Anyway, I've told people about this for years and I'm sure that they just smiled and nodded. My brother is in Minneapolis right now, and while he visited the old house, he was kind enough to take this picture. He is younger than me, and learned to drive in the 1980s, so he never had to deal with this. In fact, he never knew it was there.

1973 Ford Torino Station Wagon

Post a Comment