This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

There is no such thing as race

If you've been confused lately by what race you are in, you may be wondering if you are - Hispanic? White? Black? Aryan? Caucasian? Eskimo?

Don't feel bad or confused. There is no such thing as race.

And I'm not trying to be *politically correct* here. There is no, and never has been, a biological division of human beings by race. And if that pulls the rug out from all of your racist notions, well, it should. And since race is an illusion, the illusion only works if we all believe in it. And people have for many generations. But that belief is fading away. I may not live to see the end of it, but I can see that it will happen.

If you try to divide people by race, you are forced to come to some harsh realities. Like how it's to be determined. There are a lot of *black* people whose skin is lighter than *white* people. If you try to determine race by skull measurements, well, just go back to the mid-1800s and see what a mess was made of that, and how it fell out of favor. Language? Come on, that's not race, you know that. Country of origin? Really? And if you just say, *I know it when I see it*, then you are (hopefully) the last generation of people who will believe in this illusion.

Future generations will look back on check-boxes in census forms and school files, and thousands of other places, and wonder *what they were thinking? Race?*

I have a profound interest in the history and culture of my ancestors. I am a culturist, not a racist. I celebrate their lives, their traditions, their languages. But not race.

The photo is of my grandfather, Robert Clyde Hall.
Post a Comment