This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Second generation born in America

This blog focuses mostly on my father's side of the family, who have been here in America since the 1640s. And so, I'm about the 13th generation I guess, I've lost count. But on my mother's side I am only the second generation born in America. And if you see me as *just another white guy*, I guess I can't blame you for saying that. And I know that it's what my grandfather, who was born in Italy, dreamed about for the future of his family.

Sometimes I think about what life was like for him as a child, living in an Italian neighborhood in Chicago, at the time of the largest mass lynching in U.S. history

I live in Arizona, and there are many people here who were born in a foreign county, mostly Mexico. And I'm sure that they dream of a day when the hatred and bigotry towards them and their children, and their children's children, will be long gone, and long gone from memory, too.

My grandfather, Lorenzo (Lawrence) John Scinto
Post a Comment