This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My Hall family of Connecticut and my Hall family of Ohio

There are two Hall families in my genealogy. Hall is a pretty common last name, and I remember other kids with the last name Hall back in school, that I was no relation to, but it still seems weird when you're researching your ancestors and find that there was a marriage between two people with the same surname.

Truman Hall
My last name, which is from the paternal side of my family, comes from the Hall family of Connecticut. Robert Hall, the good-looking man pictured at left, was from Falls Village, Connecticut. In the 1850s, he left Connecticut and went out west, first to Wisconsin and then finally settling in Fairmont, Minnesota. In 1869 he had a son named Truman. That's the guy who kind'a looks like me on the right. And in the meantime...

Elisha Banks Hall
The other Hall family is from Ohio. Elisha Banks Hall (no, I don't look like him, I have all of my hair) moved up to the wilds of Minnesota in 1853, bringing along his lovely young wife Perlicia. In 1873 they had a daughter named Anna.

Nineteen years later, in 1892, the two Hall families joined when Truman and Anna were married. To try to keep things straight as to which side of the family you were talking about, our family just referred to the maternal side as *The Truman Halls*.
Perlicia (Parker) Hall
Anna (Hall) Hall

Post a Comment