This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Hatred, bigotry, and the denial of Indians as people

Every once in a while, I hear someone say, *back when no one lived there, only Indians*. And when I hear this I just clench my fists and try very hard not to say anything. And I promise myself that I will write a blog post about it. So here it is.

If all you know about Indians came from old Disney cartoons, I guess I can't blame you. And if you have an image in your mind of Indians *living in harmony with nature* as if they were some type of animal, well, it's just another way of degrading these people. Because, news flash, Indians are people. They are not roosters or hens or braves or squaws.

And whenever and wherever people have lived on this earth, they have done the same things. They have cared for their families. They cut down trees for firewood to keep warm. They killed animals for food so that they wouldn't starve. And if they were intelligent, as many people are, they considered not just their current needs but the needs of their family for the future.

People have been living on this planet, with many different cultures, for a very, very, long time now. They may have different colored skin, they may have different beliefs, religions, and cultures, but they have one thing in common. They are people.
Post a Comment