This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Reverse discrimination

There really is no such thing as *reverse discrimination* - even though I've heard people use the term all of my life. Discrimination on the basis of gender, race, or national origin is discrimination, plain and simple. Here in The United States, the law is clear, this applies to everyone. Or it should. If you are being discriminated against, even if it's *reverse discrimination*, you need to speak up. You have rights.

My professional career started in the 1980s when people were first noticing *reverse discrimination*. As the victim of reverse discrimination, I was cautiously vocal. I would ask people, politely, to remove things that they had hanging up in their cubicles that degraded my gender and race. And like most people who do and say degrading and discriminating things, they were genuinely surprised to find that I was offended.

Although no one refers to it anymore, and it is a very sensitive subject, companies in the 1970s and 80s were requiring *quotas* of types of people based on gender and race. And this was to address the genuine inequities of opportunity for women and persons of color in America for the last 200+ years. And like so many things that were born of good intentions, human nature took hold of it and it was used to hurt people. When I first started working at Blue Cross of California in the mid-1980s, the company was required, by law, to discriminate against people of my gender and race. I did get the job, but only, as my Supervisor said, after all of her quotas were filled. Supervisors can't talk like that anymore.

Being discriminated against because of your gender and race is a terrible and degrading thing. This has been a piece of American history that hopefully will be coming to an end in my lifetime.