This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

My family history in Los Angeles, California

When I moved to Los Angeles in 1983, I really had no idea that my family had been there. To me, it was just a big city where I was looking for work as a graphic designer. I had some vague recollection of my great-grandparents retiring to there, many years ago, but I really didn't give it much thought.

When I started thinking about my genealogy, the first thing I did was to find out where my great-grandparents were buried in Los Angeles. It's actually my great-grandmother Isabelle (Steele) and her third husband, George Howe, and they are in Forest Lawn in Hollywood. Yeah, where the movie stars are. But they were just ordinary people who had retired to North Hollywood in 1945. Forest Lawn, by the way, is on the opposite side of the hill that says *Hollywood*. The markers are mostly small and flat to the ground, so that the view of the cemetery from The San Fernando Valley is just green grass. Pretty valuable real estate that no one can touch!

On the Phillips side of the family. My *little old lady from Pasadena* was a young woman named Veronica (Verna) (Phillips) who lived at 3217 Brandon Street, Pasadena, California with her husband Hugh Stanley Goodell. They moved to Los Angeles in 1925 and she lived in Pasadena until 1976, when she was 77. And actually just about all of my Phillips family moved to Los Angeles, including Ira Phillips (Verna's father), and her sister Marion, who married Harvey Kaufman, who worked as an electrician for the movie studios.

I like to imagine Los Angeles in the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 50s. It must have been quite a place!
Post a Comment