This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Why pirates use the word *be*

Pirate talk sounds like this - *today I be sailing, yesterday I be sailing, tomorrow I be sailing, I be sailing all of my life*. Actually a lot of people with limited educations talked like this in the 1800s, and not just pirates. It has to do with the verb in the English language *to be*. It's an irregular verb, and it's just a mess. For such a commonly-used verb, it is extremely complex. It goes like this

• Today I am sailing. How *am* is connected to the verb to be, I have no idea.

• Yesterday I was sailing. Seriously? *Was* is from the verb to be?

• Tomorrow I will be sailing. Makes a little more sense, but has to be used with the word *will*.

• I have been sailing all of my life. Really?

What a ridiculously complex verb *to be* is! No wonder pirates didn't even try!
Post a Comment