This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Keeping track of the wars in America

If, like most people, you have difficulty keeping track of which war was when in the United States, and they all seem to blur together, there is a reason for that. They do. Labels and dates are for history books. The reality, like all real history, is not nearly so cut-and-dried. There has only been one war in The United States - the fight for independence and the fight to preserve it. It's still going on today. And if you think that labels and history books can divide it, well, you just haven't looked at it enough.

Yes, you can do a timeline and a graph showing the wars that The United States has been involved with, but the only thing that proves is that you can do timelines and graphs. If you want to understand why we have been involved with wars for the past 300 years, you have to do better than that.

This is not a trivia game, where the most important thing is to argue whether a war is properly labelled a *conflict* or a *police action*. If that's how you see it, you might as well be collecting stamps, or alphabetizing in a filing cabinet. I've known people like this all of my life, who insist on defining the end of World War I and the beginning of World War II.

If you must make a *trivia game* out of it, I guess I can't stop you. And if it gets you started on the road to understanding, then it really is a good thing. But at some point I hope that you put the trivia away, step back, and begin to understand. It's much more difficult that making labels and writing down dates, but it's what I have been working on all of my life. I could use some help here.


Post a Comment