This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Delivery in the days of your ancestors

When you see all of the UPS trucks, and the FedEx trucks, running around you get an idea of how much people like to have their stuff delivered. If you are old enough to remember the days before FedEx and UPS, you may think that this is a modern idea. It's not. Before the widespread use of cars in the mid-twentieth century, home and business delivery was common. In the days of my grandparents, very few people had cars and they had to rely on delivery.

And yes, the mail was delivered twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. If you ever listen to the lyrics of the old Elvis song *Return to Sender*, he sings

I gave a letter to the postman,
He put it in his sack.
Bright and early next morning,
I got my letter back!

This means that she received the letter by the afternoon post, wrote *return to sender* on it, and Elvis got it back the next morning. Pretty good delivery! And that was common back then.

Most stores delivered for free. You visited a store, ordered what you wanted, and went home to wait for it. And yes, there was always someone home. American homes didn't start becoming empty all day until the 1970s, when women entered the workforce in high numbers and extended families were abandoned in favor of sending the old folks to nursing homes.

I do web design and have worked out of my house for over ten years now. I have a lot of things delivered because my time is best spent here in front of the computer. Right now, Safeway is on its way to my house to delivery groceries. I don't know if you could call me modern or old-fashioned. Delivery works.
Post a Comment