This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Original sin


Original sin is a concept that most people don't really want to talk about. And it was something that I didn't understand until I began doing my genealogical research in my forties. I'd always heard of original sin, but it took the small son of a friend of mine to explain it to me. And like all things that you want to learn, you are only interested in it if it's personal. For me it was.

First of all, original sin in the Judea-Christian concept that we are all born sinners, because of the fall of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. So, when a baby is born, he or she is a sinner until the time of his/her baptism. Go ahead and look it up, I did. Yes, it means that a baby who dies unbaptized goes to hell. No wonder people don't want to talk about it!

When I was doing research on my mother's second son (me), I found out that he was born needing surgery for a hernia. The doctors advised doing this right away, and it was done. But there was one thing that wasn't done before the surgery - baptism of the baby. As I understood the story, neighbors advised this young mother to have her son baptized - just in case. I also understand that I screamed in pain constantly. The surgery went fine, and I was baptized shortly afterwards. I never gave it a thought for over forty years, but I'll bet my mom did.
Post a Comment