This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Bringing Presbyterianism from Scotland to America

I grew up Presbyterian in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Like all kids, I never gave the church that I went to, Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church, a second thought. That there could be any kind of history to Presbyterian in America never even occurred to me! But there is, especially the part of my family that brought it over with them from Scotland.

In the family Bible, under the list of children's names is written, "The above are registered in the Kirk Session Book of the Congregation of East Williams with the Church of Scotland". This is my line back through my mother's mother. By the way, the word Kirk is Scottish for Church. At the time that this was written, the family was living in Canada, traveling west along what would someday become The Saint Lawrence Seaway. In fact, the birthplace of my gggrandmother, Susan Isabel, Dickinson's Landing, is now under water! When she married in Marquette, Michigan, it was to a man of Scottish descent, named Steele, and the Presbyterian faith continued in America.

When my maternal grandmother married, her husband converted from Catholicism to Presbyterianism, which is how my mother was raised, and in turn me.

Faith of our fathers, and mothers.
Post a Comment