This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Why would anyone live in Minnesota?

I grew up in Minnesota. Minnesota is a fine state, with many great qualities. But as a kid I wondered why anyone would live there. It snows most of the year, is bitterly cold, and during the summer, the mosquitos are so ferocious that it was almost impossible for me to enjoy the warm weather. When I turned 18, I bought my first car and the next year I moved to Arizona, which is where I am right now.

There are many reasons for people to live in Minnesota. For my family, it is a very long history. The Halls have deep roots in Minnesota, especially in the Mankato area. The Hall family was there, in a little house on the prairie, even before the Ingalls family (If you remember the books or the TV show "Little House on the Prairie"). I still have many Hall relatives living in the Mankato area. I lived there as toddler and have fuzzy memories of our little house in Mankato.

Elisha Banks Hall

The deep roots that the Hall family had in the Mankato area led my father, even though he grew up in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, to settle there, get a job at Archer-Daniels and buy his first house. When the family left Mankato to move to the big city, Minneapolis, it was just another case of one of the family leaving the family roots behind, which had been there since before the civil war. But Minneapolis was where the money was. And in my childhood I watched as Minneapolis became a pretty cool place, first as seen by the country through the popularity of The Mary Tyler Moore show, and then because of the Minneapolis music scene, as pioneered by Prince. Or, the artist formerly known as Prince, I really don't know what he wants to be called.

I haven't been back to Minnesota for many years. It is an amazing place. Yeah, I know it's my home state, so you can expect me to be prejudiced. But if you get a chance to visit there, I recommend that you do so. Just, uh, not in the winter!
Post a Comment