This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Taxation without representation is tyranny!

When the American colonists in the 1700s, including my family, spoke the words, "Taxation without representation is tyranny!", they were not protesting taxation itself, they were protesting taxation without having a voice in the government. As all history buffs know, if the British government had given the colonists even a small representation in Parliament, the American Revolution could have been prevented. The British made a mistake.

Taxes, of course, pay for government. And as a society, we agree that a government needs to exist, in the form of protection, like the police and military, and for infrastructure, such as roads, courts, etc. Representation in government begins with the acceptance of the need for government. If you believe that there should be no government, as many people do, you are an anarchist. If you are not an anarchist, it's just possible that you have never been involved with the process of being represented in government. If you have no desire to pay taxes, it might be that you are also feeling that you have no representation.

The first place to start is at the local level. I live in the city of Glendale, Arizona and I am aware of the local civic laws and how I am represented. My local representative is my councilmember, Yvonne Knaack. The city of Glendale is divided into districts, which are named after various types of cactus. This is Arizona, after all! I am in the Barrel District. Any problems relating to my local community are resolved by my councilmember. This includes things like graffiti, abandoned cars on the street, that sort of thing. And since I am a taxpayer, and represented in government, I have a voice. Yes, these people work for me, and they respond to my emails and phone calls.

Knowledge is power. My family fought for the right of representation before taxation, and won. All you have to do now is to exercise that right.
Post a Comment