Putting labels on people
Anyway, here are some labels for my family and some explanations. I have always been intellectually curious, even if it hurts, and I always wanted to know, and that is why I found out.
• WASP - This means White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. I will define those terms below.
• White - This term is one that divides people into four categories, white, black, yellow and red.
• Anglo-Saxon - In common usage, this means any white person. It derives from two of the tribes of ancient Britain, the Angles and the Saxons.
• Anglo - Also a common label for any white person. The Angles were a tribe of Britain, and that is where the modern term "England" comes from, "Angle-Land".
• Gringo, or Gavacho - A white person. Typically heard in the American southwest.
• Cracker - A term for white people, usually in the southern United States.
• Honky - A white person.
• Caucasian - A white person. This term comes from the Caucasus Mountains in Russia.
• Ayran - A white person of Germanic, or Nordic, background. This came into use by the Nazis, who saw them as "The Master Race".
• Round-Eyes - The term used by the Chinese who first saw white people in the 18th century.
• White Trash - Poor, unsophisticated white people. Not be confused with "redneck", which can be of any race, as long as your working TV is on top of your non-working TV.
I know that it's difficult not to use labels, and I appreciate that people do try to use "politically correct ones". But for me, I prefer just to be called "Brad".
Posted by Brad Hall