This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Putting labels on people

Putting labels on people is a hateful, hurtful thing. But somehow we can't seem to resist doing it. And even if you are using a label that is "politically correct", it is a terrible thing. I remember hearing a story when I was a kid about a little girl being asked what she wanted to be called, whether "black", or "negro", or "colored", or "African American". She simply said, "Sally".

Anyway, here are some labels for my family and some explanations. I have always been intellectually curious, even if it hurts, and I always wanted to know, and that is why I found out. 

• WASP - This means White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. I will define those terms below. 

• White - This term is one that divides people into four categories, white, black, yellow and red. 

• Anglo-Saxon - In common usage, this means any white person. It derives from two of the tribes of ancient Britain, the Angles and the Saxons. 

• Anglo - Also a common label for any white person. The Angles were a tribe of Britain, and that is where the modern term "England" comes from, "Angle-Land". 

• Gringo, or Gavacho - A white person. Typically heard in the American southwest. 

• Cracker - A term for white people, usually in the southern United States.

• Honky - A white person. 

• Caucasian - A white person. This term comes from the Caucasus Mountains in Russia.

• Ayran - A white person of Germanic, or Nordic, background. This came into use by the Nazis, who saw them as "The Master Race". 

• Round-Eyes - The term used by the Chinese who first saw white people in the 18th century. 

• White Trash - Poor, unsophisticated white people. Not be confused with "redneck", which can be of any race, as long as your working TV is on top of your non-working TV.

I know that it's difficult not to use labels, and I appreciate that people do try to use "politically correct ones". But for me, I prefer just to be called "Brad".
Post a Comment