This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

A celebration of life

Sometimes people are puzzled by my interest in my family history. To some people, it seems that I am fascinated with dead people and cemeteries. I'm not. I'm fascinated with how people lived. I am not just interested in studying history, I want to time travel. I want to walk down a country lane in 1704. I want to feel a cold Wisconsin winter in 1865. I want to know what it was like to be a young man being flown to Okinawa in 1944. I want to ride on the ship "The Arbella" with John Winthrop in 1630. And this is as close as I can get.

I'm especially fascinated by old photos. When I look into those eyes I want to see what they saw. These aren't poetic ideals, these are real people. They lived, they dreamed, they suffered, and they succeeded. I've always sought out historic places, even when I lived in Los Angeles. Not to prove anything to anyone, but just to be there. And I am truly there, in time and space. If you see me, please let me be. If you ask me to explain it, I won't be able to, but I may try.

They have sweated beneath the same sun
Looked up wonder at the same moon
And wept when it was all done
For being done too soon.
Post a Comment