This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Caring for your family during The Great Depression

My parents are in their eighties now and they both have vivid memories of The Great Depression during their childhood. If you've ever wondered why people of that generation are so careful with their money, that's why. I'm sure that they saw a lot of things that they never talked about. And the most important thing was then, as it is now, caring for your family.

There was something that was jokingly referred to as a "depression divorce". That meant a man who had been looking for work for a long time, giving up and just walking away. For a man to be unable to care for his family must have been devastating. As is always the case with families, there is usually a lot more to it, but my understanding is that this is what my paternal grandfather did.

Our family never talked about Clyde. In fact, it wasn't until I was in my forties that I got this picture of him. All I knew is that he left his wife and children, including my dad, during the depression. When he did that, he freed up his wife to be a schoolteacher. It's hard to imagine now, but back then, a married woman was not allowed to be a schoolteacher. Gertrude Hall went on to become Superintendent of Itasca County Rural Schools in Minnesota. She cared for her family as best she could, dividing the care of her four children between the grandparents. When times are hard, families pull together.
Post a Comment