This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Today is Lincoln's Inauguration

Entry in the Day Book for March 4, 1861
I am fortunate to have a copy of the "Day Book" of my Great Grandmother Susan (Nash) Harrington. She wrote something in it every day from 1859 to 1866. Mostly, she just makes a comment on the weather. I notice that she mentions how cold it is there in Wisconsin! She was in her mid-forties at the time, and it gives a good record of how life was then, with typical entries about the family and her neighbors. I've gone through the pages (there are 100 of them, and believe me, the handwriting doesn't get any better!). The original of this book is safely stored in the public library in New Richmond Wisconsin, and they were kind enough to copy all of the pages for me about ten years ago. The entry on March 4th of 1861 caught my eye - "Today is Lincoln's Inauguration". It's right after "some colder today" and right before "quite cold".


On Sunday, the 21st of April, 1861, she wrote, "Twas on the 10th of this month that the troops of S-Carolina fired the first gun and so began a Civil War in the Union. Mayor Anderson surrenders." It sounds to me like she may have copied that from a newspaper. The "1861" and "at Ford Sumpter [sic]" were added by her son George later. Notice that the weather was warm the day before, but very windy!
Post a Comment