This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The story of Thanksgiving

When I was a kid, I drew the pilgrims enjoying their first Thanksgiving meal with their friends the Indians, at a big picnic table. The pilgrims, of course, had big pointy hats with buckles on them, and all the Indians wore elaborate headdresses with lots of feathers. The trees in the background had leaves that had turned to golden brown. I think that I drew a few deer standing around, too. I hope that kids are still, and always will be, drawing Thanksgiving that way.

My family's relationship to Indians in 17th century colonial America was typical of the times. The Indians and the colonists were both just groups of people trying to survive in a harsh environment. There were many types of food that were eaten in The New World, including, of course, turkey. And there was corn and potatoes. We take all of this for granted, but remember that Europe had none of these foods, and there was some doubt as to their safely. By the 18th century, that doubt had passed, and these new foods became wildly popular. But in the 1600s, you had to be pretty hungry to try them. But the colonists were hungry, and they did try them. And aren't you glad they did?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment