This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Priceless family heirlooms

I own quite a few of my family's heirlooms. I display them around the house and sometimes people ask me about them. Of course, I want to tell the story of where how the clock came from the old Hall farmhouse, or how my dad got the Purple Heart. But most people just want to know how valuable they are, that is, if sold on ebay, for instance. They are priceless to me because they have been in my family for so long. They are virtually worthless on the open market as just items. They might fetch a couple of dollars at a thrift store or a garage sale.

Yes, I know the value of a 1912 Ingram clock, or an 1859 King James Bible, and it's not very much money, but that isn't the point. The point is that these item have remained in my family for all of this time. When one generation passed away, the next carried it on. And I am hoping that someone will carry some of these priceless family heirlooms on after me. My family has never been rich, or terribly poor, but mostly just average, what became "middle class" in my parent's generation. So don't look for Fabergé eggs in my family heirlooms, you won't find any.
Post a Comment