This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

100 acres of land in Vermont for 80 dollars

In 1797, my family, Nash, bought their farm in Vermont. The price for 100 acres was $80. This is interesting to me for a couple of reasons. The first, of course, being how much the value of a dollar has fallen since then, and also, that they were trading in US currency so soon after the revolutionary war. The United States had only been a country for 14 years. Somehow, I thought that maybe for such large purchases people would insist on gold or silver. But it looks like dollars is what they were using.

"Know all men by these presents that I, David Allen of Middletown in the county of Chittendon and the State of Vermont for the consideration of eighty Dollars to me in hand paid to my full satisfaction by Joseph Nash of Duxbury in county and state aforesaid, the Receipt when of I have and hereby do freely give, grant, tell and confirm write the said Joseph Nash, his heirs and Assignors, forever according piece of land in Duxbury afore said described as follows, viz, being the Second Division Lot Draw to the original Right of Nathaniel Philips Earl in the Township of Duxbury aforesaid containing one hundred acres being Number Seventy six To have and hold said grant..."
Post a Comment