This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The truth about Thanksgiving

I think that the Thanksgiving holiday is great. I love turkey, and mashed potatoes, and all of that. When I was a kid in school I learned to draw a turkey by tracing around all of the fingers of my hand. I'll bet you did that! And I would draw the pilgrims, with their big hats with buckles on them, and everything.

And in colonial America in the 1600s, my family very often gave thanks to God. But they didn't do it with a big meal. They would fast.

They were living out in a "howling wilderness", and yes, their relationships with the native peoples were typical of what you think of in "the old west", sometimes there was cooperation, sometimes there was war. The reality was that life was pretty harsh. If you want your history to be all nice and tidy, you will need to read a history book from school, or watch a Disney movie. For me, I've always wanted the truth, even if it isn't all neat and clean.

And, not that it really matters, but just for the record, they didn't wear big hats with buckles on them. But I hope that kids today are still drawing them that way!
Post a Comment