This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

Puritans coming to America

At the risk of saying, *everything that they taught us in school is wrong*, I would like to use this blog to paint a more accurate picture of my family, starting with the Puritans who came to America from England in the 1640s, and right up to the present time.

To clarify, *Puritans* were people of faith, in England, who were interested in *purifying* the Church of England. They were not *separatists*, who were those people who wanted to completely break away from the Church of England, and England itself. In common usage today, separatists are known as *Pilgrims*. Ultimately, the Church of England turned their back on both the Puritans and the Separatists, which made these groups of people seek other places to live, among them America, which is where the story of my family starts.

The Separatists (the Pilgrims) established a colony at Plymouth. This isn't my family. I really don't know much more about the Pilgrims that what most kids are taught at school around Thanksgiving. The bottom line about this group is that they were trying to establish a *New World* in the wilderness, far away from the influence of England.

The Puritans established a colony at Boston, and this is my family. Boston was a busy port, and ships sailed to and from England regularly. The statue in the picture is of Samuel Stone in Hertford, England. He is among the first of my family to come to America.
Post a Comment