This blog is about the story of my family here in America. We arrived in the 1630s as Puritans, and became the common folk of the New World.

The celebrities of Colonial America

The celebrities, or "superstars", of Colonial America were clergy. They were the leaders of the community, and their reputation set the tone for an entire town. They spoke in front of large congregations, and they also published their sermons, along with other writings of a spiritual nature, which were the "best sellers" of the day.

The "big four" were John Cotton, Richard Mather, Increase Mather and Cotton Mather. They were, in fact, four generations from the same family. My family is related to them only by marriage, but I would like to think that because of this, some of their celebrity status was shared by my family. The picture at left is of John Cotton.

I do have plenty of clergy in my family, and that is one big reason why I am able to get so much information about them. Unlike most people in Colonial America, they wrote stuff down. The clergy in my family were "minor celebrities" compared to the list above, but they were important in their communities.

My favorite one from my family is the Reverend Samuel Stone, who is one of the "founding fathers" of Hartford, Connecticut. He  came to America on the "Griffin" on September 4, 1633 with Thomas Hooker & John Cotton. When things got a little too crowded in Boston, Reverend Stone gathered up his followers and established a new town, which he named after his home town of Hertford, England. I can almost hear his accent when you look at the spelling of the new town, Hartford.
Post a Comment